Saturday, August 30, 2008

Copyrights 101

Why is it impossible for Republicans to get their small minds around the basic idea of a copyright? For the umpteenth time in this campaign, and the second time in two weeks, John McCain has appropriated and publicly performed a song as part of the stagecraft of his campaign without obtaining permission from the copyright holders or paying royalties. Specifically, McCain used Van Halen's "Right Now" at the end of Palin's speech yesterday, much to the dismay of Van Halen who are against his candidacy. I don't know what's a more telling sign, the fact that they consistently violate people's copyrights or that they think someone in America still might think "Right Now" was a cool song. When Van Halen published that I was 9 and John McCain was already old.


Using someone copyrighted work without permission is more commonly referred to as "theft". You'd think Republicans could get their heads around that simple concept but apparently not because McCain isn't even the first. Each of the Republican presidents over the past 35 years has had the same problem. Reagan was told to stop using "Born in the USA" by Springstein, and both Bush Sr. and Bush Stupid did the same thing. Even Bob Dole got slapped on the wrist.

So is it stupidity or theivery? Do they not understand what intellectual property rights are or do they just not care. I mean I realize McCain doesn't understand what a computer is, but he has to have at least read a book at some point in time and have been at least somewhat aware that someone else wrote it and owns the rights to it, right? Hey dumb-ass, wake up: you don't own that song!!! Can we really have a President who doesn't understand what a copyright is anymore than we can have one who does understand, but doesn't care. I don't know which is worse, but both disqualify you as POTUS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/29/van-halen-mad-at-mccain-o_n_122464.html

No comments: